Friday, August 8, 2008

ALL THINGS WOOD

I had to get some of my string instruments fixed and I dare say, it’s about time. It’s been over 8 years since I last played my cello! It was finally shipped to me just 2 years back and found that the sound post had collapsed together with the bridge, pegs and strings... everything.. Sigh, fixing it ain’t cheap I can tell you that, and I have two other violins that needed some loving care too!
But first things first, I found a very nice couple who repairs string instruments at their property and paid them a visit. Here I was lugging my cases around, navigating through the gates and finally found their workshop situated right at the back of their house. Who would've thought! Such a small and quaint workshop, the smell of varnish, old violins retiring on the walls and sickly looking instuments strewn all over the work bench ready to be nursed back to life!

Well, my instuments are as good as new now, I can start annoying my neighbours!

Many people usually have pianos in their homes, even if no one plays them anymore, they look good as a part of decorative furniture. As for MY household, you will find pieces of violins (even miniature ones!) everywhere, with my 4/4 cello standing bravely in my living room.

A friend of mine from overseas sent this photo of a fine piece of antique ‘furniture’ (no one plays it in the house!) which is apparently about 100 years old. It had a few aesthetic repairs done over the years but it’s a very special piano. If you look closely, the front portion of the piano is made of glass that you can see through the keys inside the piano. So, it’s not all wood!
Before this piano, my friend had an even dated piano!
Although this is not a very good angled photo, this piano is from Berlin and had suffered the wrath of the 1st world war! Apparently it was half bombed and hence the aesthetic flaws and the keys are a little impaired. However the strings are over 100yrs old and sounds 1st class!

1 comment:

Lucy Liew said...

Eh.. after you fix, can display in my new house? It will go very well with my BABY GRAND PIANO!