Saturday, July 19, 2008

LE TOUR

I’ve always wanted to blog about the Tour De Fance but I guess its still not to0 late to do so – still around 7 stages to go.. Although the Maillot Jaune is not determined yet (with only like a nail biting 00’01” of a second ahead of 2nd place so far!) but I’m hoping for our Aussie silent achiever to keep the yellow till the end. Go Aussie!
I have to admit that The Tour was dead for me along with the retirement of Lance Armstrong. I’m a huge fan of Lance and he made the tour special for me. But although I’ve stopped following it closely post-Lance, I’ve made a point to catch up with this year’s tour, this time rooting for Cadel Evans!
But I am really impressed to see sprint legend Erik Zabel in the starting line (again) this year, would’ve thought he would retire by now perhaps?? In very recent years, saw him being beaten by some notable Aussies like Robbie McEwan and Stuart O’Grady in the sprint finish, which as of today Oscar Freire is looking good in Green at 219 Pts, with Erik in 3rd place and Robbie on 8th place? Although, I can’t seem to find full list of standing for Green Jersey on Le Tour. Anyone knows, can post me a comment.
Anyway, back to Cadel. Clenching the Yellow at such an early stage (10th), will see him work extra hard to keep it on his back all the way to Paris. No rest for the wicked, I say, and I read in the web that all he wants is just a good night’s sleep before the L’Alpe-d’Huez later in the week! That’ll be THE test and I’m definately looking forward to catching it LIVE. Well, LIVE as in on TV of course. Although it’s been my dream to visit France in summer to follow the Tour and bask in the fields of sunflowers. (even if it does hell on my sinuses, its all worth it!)
But, yea, it will be interesting to see how our Aussies fare in this year’s Tour. Watch this space for more updates this week.