Friday, July 11, 2008

YONG TAU FOO

Ah hah! Alas, I found a fantastic Oriental Supermarket that sells YONG TAU FOO! But damnit, they are expensive here man! Something like $12.99/kilo. I just miss my YTF laksa, my YTF korn-low (dry noodles) in sweet sauce.. Hmm, so much cheaper to eat in Malaysia. But let me tell you, YTF has now evolved into all kinds of shapes, sizes and ingredients! I swear to you the other day I bit into what looks like a fish ball but then cheese starting squirting out. Cheese! In my fishball, can you imagine! What would they think of next.. But hello, look at these variations of YTF other than the regular stuffed brinjal, bitter gourd or ladies fingers:
So instead of plonking it into some soup the way YTF is usually served, I came up with another delicious idea on preparing it. I fry all the YTF in a little oil and once it’s a bit brown I dish it out. Then I drizzle a little Kecap Manis on it and there you have it, yummy (dry) lightly fried YTF..
Kecap manis is a dark brown, syrupy, Indonesian soy sauce. It has a sweeter flavour than normal soy sauce. It usually contains star anise and garlic, in addition to sweeteners such as palm sugar. Kecap manis is often referred to as Indonesian soy sauce. This bottle of kecap manis is like the standard essential item in any Indonesian household. My partner’s mum swears by it and uses it in practically every dish she cooks. Love your cooking, mum!

1 comment:

Lucy Liew said...

Wait till you try my curry yong tau foo.....